This is yet another all time favorite. It is also supremely easy to make, comforting and delicious.
- 2 cups of navy/white kidney beans
- 1 bunch of escarole
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic paste/crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Black pepper
- Pieces of crusty bread
Here’s how we do it:
- Soak the beans overnight (at least 6 hours). Drain and wash.
- Chop and sauté the onion.
- Add the sautéed onion, 3-4 cups of water, 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) to the beans and cook this mixture. The easiest way is to pressure cook the beans/water/salt/onion mixture.
- Separately, wash 1 bunch escarole, remove the core, tear up the leaves and sauté them (in a different pot) in olive oil along with 1 ½ teaspoon of garlic paste/crushed garlic. When sautéing, start at high heat then lower it so escarole wilts and the garlic does not burn.
- Add the cooked beans to the cooked wilted escarole/garlic mix.
- Add black pepper, freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste. Mix it all in gently. Cook 4-5 minutes at low-medium heat to evaporate some liquid.
- Add some crusty bread pieces and mix them in.
- Place the soup in oven safe bowls, top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and heat in the oven at 250F to melt the the cheese.
- All done!